What is a Kids Language Club?
We want to:
- encourage and support children in speaking, understanding and maintaining other languages than English as their family language.
- give them the chance to develop friendships to peers who speak the same language.
- Families, children, other family members and family friends will share language specific activities in various languages.
In all Kids Language Clubs we agree on the following values:
- We use positive language in communication with each other.
- We support children's creativity.
- We focus on rich communication in the family language, but we support our children in the usage of both languages.
- We give our children plenty of time in the development at their own rate.
- Parents and children are equal participants in the inclusive and self driven program. We respect each others contributions and the interests of our children.
The clubs works in a cooperative and collaborative way. All members participate according to their knowledge and skills. All family members stay on the premises and share language learning.
|What age?||The concept is most suitable for children between 4 and 8 years old. Children should already be able to speak the language. Younger children and babies welcome.|
|Who runs a session?||Parents develop the program and act as language teachers on a roster basis.|
Participation by donation or set cost, depending on group.
Depending on age groups present a session runs for between 1 and 2.5 hours. Sessions usually include the following components:
Children share their story
What is a Kids Language Discovery Club?
These are special Kids Language Clubs for children from bilingual families who have not been exposed to the family language yet. An adult who speaks the language native like needs to accompany the child and stay with it during the session.
If you are interested in establishing a Kids Language Discovery Club for your family language, e-mail
When do Kids Language Clubs meet?
New bilingual children are always welcome. Please check hours and locations with your language contact person.
A new language group can start working as soon when there is more than one family interested and prepared to organise the sessions in this language. The new language group needs a person to coordinate its activities. Bilingual Families Perth offers ongoing professional and best practice support for new language groups, participating parents and grandparents.
If you are interested in forming a new kids club or a Kids Discovery Club, please contact info(at)bilingualfamilies(dot)net.
Teaching the love of language
For five decades, Jimmy Gasque has insisted on the proper use of the English language. He is a legend at Heathwood Hall, where he has taught for 37 years of ..» Read more
In Jamaica, language is one of the primary domains in which all-out class warfare is constantly waged. You are as you speak: high class or low ...» Read more
'Language gene' effects explored
A gene that has long been implicated in the evolution of speech and language has given up more of its secrets.» Read more